The Comilla Club was established in 1917. Some honorable residents of Comilla, some British citizens & specially members of Tripura royal family took the initiative to open such a club. The land for the club and the initial fund raising were contributed by the Royal family of Tripura.
The number of present members of The Comilla Club is more then 600. Among them thirteen are life members, seven are honorary members and there are five more donor members.
After it got established in 1917, the club was named ‘Tippara Club’. The club has been in the journey with this name for above 46 years. In 1963, the club was renamed and since then this has been recognized as Comilla Club to the date.
Evolution of Names:
Facilities of multiple sports inside the club compound and different competitions that the club holds have presented The Comilla Club as a sound community organization in the locale of Comilla sports as well as the national arena.
Syed Monsoor Hyder Snooker Tournament 2007 The contribution of Comilla Club especially in billiard at the national stage is praiseworthily notable. The first billiard table for Comilla Club was donated by Syed Ehtesham Hyder and Syed Osman Hyder of the Nawab family. Years later the second billiard table of the club was bought after a donation of Tk.0.2 million from Agrani Bank. This effort was hugely supported by the then managing director of Agrani Bank Mostafa Aminur Rashid. Comilla Club has always showed up with beforehand stance in the national field of billiard. The club arranged the first billiard tournament in 1973 that was seven years earlier than this sort of competition ever held at the national stage. In fact this was the first billiard tournament ever held in the history of Bengal then East Pakistan and then Bangladesh. From 1999 the ‘Syed Monsoor Hyder Billiard Tournament’ and from 2004 the ‘Syed Monsoor Hyder Snooker Tournament’ started as additions to this effort. Bangladesh National Billiard Tournament also has taken place in The Comilla Club for several times.
As regular efforts, tournaments on pool, badminton, cards are arranged by the club. Chess and carom tournaments are arranged often. The lawn-tennis courts are under renovation as due to this the lawn-tennis tournaments are temporarily suspended.
In the seventy fifth year since the journey started, Comilla Club saw a massive renovation effort in 1992 including an upgrade to two storied building from a tin shed establishment. The lodging facilities have been offered since 60’s but after the two stories upgrade, number of rooms got increased. Another massive upgrade took place in 2006 and since then the club can provide eight air-conditioned rooms including a family suit to the rest house. In addition, a posh restaurant has been opened at the ground floor of the new building.
The club’s swimming pool was built in 2014. The 8 meters long and 4 meters wide pool can be accessed by the members as well as their referred guests. There are also female-only sessions, but not scheduled regularly.